Thursday, February 17, 2022

Musique au temps des Croisades

 

MUSIQUE AU TEMPS DES CROISADES

musique instrumentale & vocale du XIIIe siècle

LE FLORILEGIUM MUSICUM DE PARIS

---------

MUSIC AT THE TIME OF THE CRUSADES  

instrumental & vocal music of the XIIIth century

CBS, 1973, 76083

This is the first album in ''Early music'' category. I said in the introduction to this blog that I would post some LPs of this type. As a lover of traditional music I was also attracted at an early age to Medieval and Renaissance musical culture. After years of listening and reading about traditional cultures I could see the links that were at work between early music and late traditions. The folk or revival movement in France was close to this kind of music from the beginning along other influences. What we consider as typical of certain regions comes to some extent from the Middle-Age and Renaissance periods.
Here the band called ''musical florilegium of paris'' was led by Jean-Claude Malgoire and was one of the most important ensembles in France at the time. I remember that I used to go to their free concerts in the early 70s on Sunday afternoons. They recorded several albums this one being the first one. 

Their goal was to give a new life to the vocal and instrumental music from the medieval period to our times. They worked from original manuscripts from Montpellier, Bamberg and Apt, the major part of the compositions being anonymous. The text written by Marie-Françoise Bloch is rich and informative but in French only. It discusses the possibility of the Arabic influence on the Southern culture in France as well as how evolved the vocal music between the XIth and XIIIth centuries.
The term Crusades refers as well to the ''Croisade des Albigeois'' when the French king at the pope's request invaded the South of France in order to eradicate the heretics known as Cathares or Albigeois. 

If a certain number of you feel interested in this album I'll post more of it.


download.wav

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful. I for one would be delighted to hear more from the same period of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I'll see what I can post for you soon. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  2. Yes, please post some early music once in a while - and thanks a ton for all your work here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ambrose for your appreciation; I really have to post more of early music ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this and many other fascinating posts. It would be great if you could post more early music when you have the time. Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Dave for your comment. I realized that most of the Early music albums I have are avalaible on CD so I don't have many LPs left for this blog. But I will post them.

    ReplyDelete

Giora Feidman

  מוזיקת ​​נשמה   / גיורא פיידמ GIORA FEIDMAN / "JEWISH SOUL MUSIC'' Hed-Arzi, 1972, BAN 14297 My father (who went  abroad   ...