Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Youcef Esseghir

 


FOLKLORE TUNISIEN

ORCHESTRE YOUCEF ESSEGHIR/MEZOUED  YOUCEF ELKAROUI

RBAÏBIYA VOLUME 2

Les Artistes Arabes Associés,  1976, 72612

One of the main characteristics of Tunisian folk music is the use of the bagpipe called mezoued. This bagpipe is also used in parts of Algeria near the Tunisian and Lybian borders. Youcef Elkaroui is very good on it. He plays throughout each song to support the singers along with a strong set or drummers.
Mezoued is a genre in itself.
I've never found the first volume but a compilation is available on Bandcamp (https://lesartistesarabesassocies.bandcamp.com/album/chanson-populaire-tunisienne) where three tracks of  the present album are part of that compilation.
This was an album I borrowed from my local library so it cracks at the beginning of each side but the sound of the music is clear. 

 




2 comments:

  1. Thank you once more Herve!!! I think the Vol. 1 is Orchestre Folklorique de Youcef Esseghir - Noubat CDA 72569 https://www.discogs.com/release/8084426-Orchestre-Folklorique-De-Youcef-Esseghir-Noubat and i am sure that you will find it.........in the right place !

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks ! I think I got the message ....

    ReplyDelete

Giora Feidman

  מוזיקת ​​נשמה   / גיורא פיידמ GIORA FEIDMAN / "JEWISH SOUL MUSIC'' Hed-Arzi, 1972, BAN 14297 My father (who went  abroad   ...